How to Choose the Right Custom Home Builder For You
2023 February 3
You’ve been dreaming about creating the home of your dreams, but you’re not quite sure how to even start. In this post, we hope to take the guesswork out of your seemingly daunting task.
With so many variables to consider, choosing the right custom home builder is extremely important to ensure the process is painless and your custom home is exactly what you want. At Eagle Creek Homes, custom home builds are our specialty. We offer you a smooth and inspiring home building process.
Plan Your Home Must-Haves
Is it that expansive kitchen island, or the cast-iron claw-foot bathtub, that’s on the top of your must-have list? Maybe you need to have the project done before the holidays? Before even meeting with a custom home builder, it is important to have these ‘must-haves’ identified.
Planning ahead allows you to go to potential home builders with a layout of your needs to see if they align with what the builder can provide. Not sure what to include with your plans? Read here to see what previous customers have done!
Look at Builder’s Experience and Certifications
This is the most important part of choosing the right custom home builder for you. You will want to schedule a sit-down, in-person meeting with each builder. Also, request a visit to a completed and a current job site.
The in-person meeting will allow you to assess:
- Organization and professionalism of their company
- Experience of their team and effectiveness of their processes
- Builder’s personality and communication style
The site visit will give you a glimpse into:
- Day-to-day operations
- Site cleanliness and safety measures
- Knowledge of subcontractors
It is also essential that the custom home builder you choose carries the required licenses AND insurance required in your state. Insurance is vital to protect yourself, your builder and subcontractors in the event of a loss or accident.
Ask the Right Questions
When you have those sit-down meetings with your potential custom home builder, come prepared with a list of questions. Never be intimidated to ask questions! Ask any and all that you need answered – and if a builder pushes back, that’s a red-flag!
Still not sure where to start? Here are a few questions to help you get started.
- How many of your builds finish on time?
- What is a realistic timeframe for the completion of my home?
- How many of your homes come in over budget? What about under budget?
- Do you build custom floor plans? If not, how much customizing can be done to semi-custom floor plans?
- What does your typical design/build process look like?
- What level of finishes do you include in your price quote?
- How will you determine the final price of my home? What is included (and not included) in the quote?
- How do you handle changes or upgrades during the building process?
- Who will supervise our project? How often will they be on site?
- Do you provide assistance in selecting design finishes? Can I choose finishes outside of your contracted companies?
Read on for more tips on the right questions to ask regarding setting the right budget.
Consider Previous Client Experience
There really is no better way to learn about a builder’s processes and professionalism than by previous client’s feedback. As much as you’d like to skip this step, please don’t! Although references given will generally be positive, you will still be able to look into a custom home builder’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Did you enjoy working with this builder?
- What would you say are their strengths?
- Was your project finished on time? If not, what were the reasons for delays?
- Did the builder communicate the schedule clearly?
- Did the builder ask for decisions in a timely manner?
- Did you feel your original budget estimate was thorough?
- Did the project finish on budget? What were the reasons for overages?
- Were your project’s finances clear and transparent?
- How did the builder react in stressful situations?
- What role did the builder take once the project began?
- Who specifically worked on your project? Who would you request if you were building again?
- Was the project clean and organized?
- Were their certain subcontractors on your project that you would strongly recommend or avoid?
- How has the builder responded to warranty issues since you moved in?
- If you were building another home, would you choose this builder again?
Now that you are familiar with planning your home’s must-haves, reviewing a builder’s experience and certifications, asking the right questions and considering previous client experiences, choosing the right custom home builder is within your reach!
There are many custom home builders out there, but Eagle Creek Homes is ready to guide you through the seemingly endless task of choosing the right builder AND home for you. For even more inspiration, you can take a look at possible floor plans here.
Please connect with us to ask these questions and any other questions you might have. We are here to make your dream home a reality!